Knock Knock, who's there? Change



Change is something that I never really would invite for a friendly drink or more truthfully, I would love to slam the door in it’s face and tell it to leave me alone. But, if I did not allow the change that has come into my life for the past 32 years, I would not be where I am and I can honestly say that where I am now and what I have in my life, I would not trade anything for it. Which is why it is hard for me to accept that there is a huge change that is affecting myself, my relationships, and the two most important people in my life (Tony and Donovan). This change was actually something that I have sought out knowing that it would impact my family in such a positive and uplifting way.

Today is my last day at my job. I have been at the same job/career for the past 6 years and it is bittersweet for me to say that I am switching jobs/careers in order to embrace change. For the past 6 years, I have been involved with one of the most rewarding jobs that I fully believe to be. I have worked as a Cosmetology Instructor to one of the most credible and respectable salons in the PNW, guiding adult learners to pursue their goals and dreams in becoming licensed in the state of Washington. My students had enrolled for various reasons: doing hair was always a dream for them, switching careers because they were unsatisfied with their current career, finding something that they can obtain a license for them to make money in a fast manner, having the desire to make others feel good about themselves, or like myself, just thought, I want to do something other than college and obtain a skill. Once they enrolled, they embarked on a 13-14 month journey of accountability, commitment, new relationships, and gaining skills and technique to do the best hair in the PNW. This job was one that I loved. It was one that I would spend hours preparing for in order to teach class. It was a job that I was extremely proud of. I have gained the most important relationships in my life right now because of that job (one of them being my bestie, Brittney, she will be introduced in another post).

Why would I leave something that I only have uplifting things to say about it? I think the most influential reason was the schedule. I have been working Saturdays for my entire life and I am ready to give that up and have a normal weekend. Working from 7:30 AM to 7 (sometimes even 8:00 PM), was getting hard for me to have that time I wanted with Donovan at the end of the day. More time with Tony was becoming less and less due to our schedules and in order to continue to strengthen our marriage and grow, having two days off with him was of importance for the both of us.

Honestly, being an instructor or teacher in any field takes you through a tangle of emotions whether it is positive or negative. During the whirlwind of negative emotions, I found myself giving whatever was “left over” to Tony. I realized that I want to be that 100% positive and loving “wife” that I could be and switching jobs was the first step to doing so.

My educator job has taught me incredible life lessons that I can only give full credit to and here are a few of them:

·         Communication and thorough conversations are the NUMBER ONE key to any successful experience.

·         I am more honest and sincere than I ever have been in my life.

·         I place myself in other people’s shoes. I never know what each individual is going through in their personal life, which influenced me to be more understanding and positive.

·         I do kick ass hair and I am a wealth of knowledge when it comes to turning hair into #hairgoals

·         I know how to turn an angry person into a person who loves me (true story, on several occasions)

·         I know how to tactfully say no, that is not realistic.

So where am I going? What is going to be my new life now? I have taken a job as an administrative assistant for a sales company that negotiates with medical equipment. I know what you’re thinking, super random and completely out of left field (and I totally agree with you). But when the opportunity arises for something that you know will be a POSITIVE change, you pounce on it. I get the privilege of re connecting with two incredible people who had actually worked with me as instructors themselves. My new job is only 10 minutes from where I live. I will get off at 4 every day. I will get paid more than I do now. And I will learn a new skill that I haven’t really explored too much into (and that Tony and I deem him to be the expert in) sales. (Side note: why is it my goal to be better at sales now than Tony? Competitive much? haha)



Anxiety, excitement, fear, nervousness, and doubt are all running through me. I know it will be good and once my first day happens at my new job, I know that everything will fall into place. I do plan to continue to do hair in some way. Whether it is working in a salon for 1 day week, doing wedding hair, or just hair at home and figuring out a built in salon in my house. (Stay tuned for that guys because I would LOVE to do your hair!)



To my past students who are reading this, I love you. You guys have helped me grow and you have all made such A HUGE impact in my life. YOU were the reason why I came to work every day. YOU were the reason why I LOVED teaching. You all have seen me through my ups and downs (one down being pregnant and hating my life through it). YOU all have made me confident and I cannot express how grateful I am to have had the pleasure and opportunity to spend the 10 plus hours a day with you through the laughs and tears. Thank you.



To my co-workers, my friends. I will miss the hell out of all of you! You guys have supported me through EVERYTHING. You all are those that I admire and respect and I know you will continue to be such a positive impact in all the student’s lives.



After hundreds and hundreds of haircut checks, pulling foils, correcting a hair color when it turned green or murky, calming crying guests when their was cut too short, and checking balayages, I am ready to embrace this change.



I hope you all enjoy the weekend or what’s left of it! For your next cocktail or beverage, let’s raise a glass to change!



XOXOXO
Tiff

Comments

  1. Oh my Tif! I am so beyond proud of you! Going to GJA was my doing better for me and making a better life for myself and now my family. You were the best first instructor. You had a way with us newbies and made me want to learn more... not just roller sets... even though I loved them. Big ol Texas hair! Thank you for being you. Good luck on your new adventure! Erin aka Peyton Mahree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin!!!!! It was students like you who made the job so worth while and memorable!!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts