Are You My Mother?


Donovan LOVES to have “snuggle time” and read books. Are You My Mother by P.D. Eastman was a book that he thoroughly enjoyed when he was younger. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown was another book that he loved and I would read to him every night since he was about 6 months old. My personal favorite children’s book (and one that I have lovingly forced Donovan to listen to me read) is “The Very Hungry Caterpiller” by Eric Carle. I just love that this little caterpillar ate his way through life being as happy as can be.


Being that it is Mother’s Day and that I am 1,000 miles away from my son (still in Arizona), I think it is appropriate to dig a little deeper in to the small life of the most incredible 3 year old you will ever meet, Donovan. I admire and respect this little guy more than any other person who has entered my life.
He is polite, he loves and adores his friends and calls them his “buddy”, he loves trucks and trains and airplanes, he can eat mac and cheese by the bucket full, and he drinks apple juice like I drink mimosas. Donovan has been continuously amazing me with his sweet demeanor that he gets from Tony and his determination and care for the people in his life that he gets from me.

The glow from pregnancy with Donovan was just a bunch of sweat and bloating that made me hate my life through all 9 months. Needless to say, pregnancy is something that I will not be the first line for, but would I go through it again and again for my little Donovan? Absolutely, I would.

I will NEVER NEVER forget the moment when the nurses handed me Donovan right after I delivered him. (well, right after I gave them strict instruction to wipe him down before they gave him to me) I remember both Tony and I in complete shock and emotion, staring at Donovan for just the slightest ½ second and coming back to reality when the doctor and nurses told us, congratulations.

Pictures by Shelly Kay Photography


Parenting is something that did not come natural for Tony and I right away. In fact, we are still learning the new world of parenting through the 3 year old stage. Through lots of tears and trial and error, we now look at each other during those moments of parenting that make us proud (lots of air high fives and thumbs up). Here are the few things that we have fully supported in our son.

·         ALWAYS be polite. Please, thank you, may I are normal statements in our son’s everyday language.

·         Celebrate the victories of achievement. Even it is just un connecting two little Legos that takes him 5 minutes to do.

·         When frustration hits, take a deep breath, finish your cry and use your words.

·         After eating any meal, bring your plate to the kitchen.

·         Uplift and encourage your buddies

·         It is ok to make mistakes, learn from them, seek advice about how to make it better.

Tony and I are not parenting experts and believe me, there were times that I would want to give up and take the easy route of parenting. Donovan is continuing to teach us every day of how to be a better version of ourselves with patience and love.





Happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms out there. I applaud and admire all of your everyday work! Here is your “air high five” and “thumbs up” and enjoy this day, because you deserve it!

XOXO
Tiff

Comments

Popular Posts